Thursday 7 April 2011

Dive In

#4

John 21:7 When Simon Peter realized that it was the Master, he threw on some clothes, for he was stripped for work, and dove into the sea. The other disciples came in by boat...

I was drawn to this story again tonight; it is one of my favourites. This takes place after Jesus has been crucified and resurrected. Peter and some other disciples have now decided to go back to their old job, fishing.  I am drawn to this story for a couple reasons:

1) I can relate to Peter, he just a few days earlier denied Jesus three times. I know in my life I have done the same through my actions and disobedience
2) So quickly after a huge world changing, mind blowing event, the disciples went back to their old jobs. Old habits and comfort zones are hard to break even after a life changing experience with God.

But, something new jumped out at me tonight; Peter saw Jesus and dove into the water. Why did he dive in? Why didn’t he cower in shame at the back of the boat? Why didn’t he just take it cool like the other disciples and row the boat in? Maybe Peter knew something I need to know?

God is telling me to DIVE IN. Peter got it I think, Jesus died because he loved Peter so much. He came to the Sea of Galilee where they were fishing; and he sought them out, because He loved him. So Peter dove in to be with his master, his saviour.

How many times do I tell myself I can’t worship, read my bible, and pray because I just screwed up again today? But God is telling me tonight: "Dive back in Kevin." How many times do I think I was a lousy dad today, a bad husband, a bad example and then put God on the shelf? God is saying: "Dive back in Kevin!"

Oh how he love us!

"Lord forgive me, I put you aside to often because of my guilt, of my shame. Thank you Lord that you died for me, that you sought me out and that you want a relationship with me. Help me to get over myself and dive back in. Thank you for your love that is seeking me daily."




No comments:

Post a Comment